Sunday, May 27, 2007

QuickTime and Validation

The issues of proprietary technology, open source standards and compliance have been highlighted over the past few days. My projected contains video and I have chosen to use QuickTime as the technology to deliver this.

I thought I had everything under control I had gone to the QuickTime site and found the code for embedding a QuickTime player in an HTML page. I tested the code and all seemed fine, however when I incorporated the code into the project I found it would not validate. It took quit a bit of tweaking to get the code working and validating.

Further reading revealed that embedding multimedia in XHTML pages is fraught with problems as a result of browser incompatibility, luckily we only have to get it working in Firefox.

No comments: